Friday 8 May 2009

A week off work

I’ve had a week off work and the original idea was to go walking and camping but we eventually decide to stay at home and do a lot of work in our garden. The greenhouse was full of small plants that needed transplanting and I wanted to reply the drive where we park the car.
The weather has been atrocious, gales and heavy rain. I’ll try to go through the week day by day, or flood by flood.
Saturday was good, we went to Oran Mor, a Glasgow pub and listened to some live music which was part of an outside broadcast by Celtic music Radio. http://www.celticmusicradio.net/ We then went to Mono and had some great vegan food with friends before retuning to Oran Mor for more music and chat.
Sunday did not start well. A neighbour told me that at about 02:00 someone had taken two of the mono-blocks that I’d had delivered for my new driveway and thrown them through his greenhouse smashing a number of panes. I was pleased to be able to give him some of my spare greenhouse glass but it was till annoying that anyone could do that.
Monday I got the base levelled ready for the drive and hired a vibrating plate to compact it all.
Tuesday I started early and managed to get all the mono-blocks laid despite heavy rain at times. I’m not sure if I laid the blocks on sand or floated them on water.
Wednesday I went over the mono-blocks with the vibrating plate and it all seemed good and solid but not as level as I’d have realty liked. We then went shopping at B&Q, (10% off on a Wednesday for me). Anne had to go to a meeting and my plan was to go and record a radio show but it did not happen as the studio was too busy. We went out for a meal and then to the Tall Ship for a great Celtic music concert.
Thursday we cleared up a lot and stacked the spare mono-blocks and a lot of other bricks and blocks that we had around the place. Two trips to the local tip got rid of the old broken slabs. We managed to freecycle a lot of the good slabs and other things. This was followed by as trip to a garden centre where we bought a lot of essentials including a lovely vegan meal.
Friday has been at home and hardly venturing outside as it has been heavy rain most of the day. It is only 15:15 and we are planning to go to a concert in Rutherglen Town Hall tonight. One of the artists is Ciaran Dorris http://www.ciarandorris.com/

No comments: